COUGH! COUGH! COUGH! THE COUGH THAT WON'T GO AWAY!
COUGH is one of the MOST COMMON SYMPTOMS for which patients seek medical attention.
- Coughing does not always indicate a problem for children or adults as the MOST COMMON is the cough associated with a VIRAL RESPIRATORY INFECTION, which typically resolves in ONE to TWO WEEKS.
- WHEN A COUGH:
- Lingers beyond several Weeks
- Interferes with sleep or activities of daily living
- Or for example, coexists with: Asthma, Nasal Symptoms, Cigarette Smoking, or associated with environmental exposures like cold air, smoke, or odors
- IT IS TIME TO SEEK MEDICAL CARE WITH AN ALLERGIST/IMMUNOLOGIST!
- With a thorough history, examination, and evaluation we typically look for the underlying cause(s) of the CHRONIC COUGH which can
MOST COMMONLY include:
- Gastroesophageal Reflux (GERD)
- Allergic Rhinitis
- A TREATMENT PLAN is then prescribed based on THE INDIVIDUAL PATIENT'S NEEDS WITH THE PRIMARY GOAL OF RESOLVING THE PATIENT'S COUGH AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE.